Location – mountain:
- Qafa e Kryqit, Qarrishtë
Description of the trail:
From Qafa e Kryqit, the trail moves along the valley above the village in an easterly direction, and then south-east towards the border with a gentle uphill hike, and from the junction follow the trail south-west that leads towards the border (approximatley 1 km). At the foothill of the Peak Lapa the trail turns north-west to the green border pass, which is located on the saddle at 1,930 m on the west side of the peak Crn Kamen / Zeze. From here the trail extends along a former patrol trail from Yugoslavia, ascending on the western slopes of Crn Kamen / Zeze. From the peak, the trail continues to the east following the ridge that descends to Vevchanska Lokva and the area Vevchanska Golina. This part of the trail is a rocky area, but the trail is well-marked, and the base is stable. From the glacial lake Vevchanska Lokva the trail continues in a south-eastern direction along the eastern slopes of the mountain in the area called Vevchanska Golina. At a height of around 1,800 m the trail goes into the forest belt, moving through beech forest, along a well marked trail. At first part the trail passes the Vevchani Sheepfold, and then continues on a wide dirt road about 500 m long, were the trail turns left, onto the old village road which connects the villages of Vevchani and Gorna Belica, descending through areas with forests and meadows, following the river. The entrance of the village of Vevchani is on the upper end of the village, near the well-known Vevchani Springs, where is a possibility for a picnic and a rest.
Technical and touristic information:
Altitude of the starting point: Qarrishte – 1,030 m
Highest point: m. Zeze / Crn Kamen Peak – 2,257 m
Altitude of the ending point: Vevchani – 910 m
Altitude difference: 1,300 m
Duration of the hiking tour: 10 hours
Length of the tour: 13 km
Difficulty of the tour: (Proofreader’s Note: Please add here) ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Required fitness level: (Proofreader’s Note: Please add here) ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Panoramas and landscapes:
- From the border one can see the highest peak of Shebenik-Jabllanica National Park, Maja e Shebenikut (2,253 m).
Access to the starting point:
- It is possible to get up to the military post by offroad vehicle (beginning of the hike), afterwards walking from either Steblevë or Qarrishtë.
Access to the ending point:
- Road Skopje – Ohrid, 172 km
- Lokal road Ohrid – Vevchani, 27 km
Accommodation and food:
- There is accommodation and food in Vevcani at Kutmichevica Guesthouse, Restaurant Via Egnatia, Villa Alula, Restaurant In Izvor, Restaurant Household House, Restaurant Shutinoski, Restaurant Pelvetec, Restaurant Pupina House. There is also no accommodation available in private facilities. Food can be provided in the bakery Almico, as well as in markets and stores.
- On the Albanian side it is possible to stay at high altitude by using the shepherds’ hut, Bilbil Bicaku.
- ( 41°14’36.5″N 20°30’21.1″E /243483, 20.505850)
- Otherwise, further down in the village it is possible to ask the locals about the possibility of spending the night in one of the houses in the village of Qarrishte, but currently there is no official accommodation there.